Saturday 3 March 2007

Latest running report

My mileage so far: 475
Total mileage: 91,556
Costs since last report: £38
Total costs so far: £281

A night out in West London and then a run up to Cambridge last weekend put quite a few miles on the 411, but it didn't miss a beat. I have been keeping a careful eye on fluids but all seem to be as they were when I picked the car up, with good oil pressure and a steady temperature on the gauge, although in heavy traffic I can see the fuel gauge moving!

Speaking of which, I seem unable to get anywhere near filling the car with its maximum 82 litres of petrol due to any pump cutting out as if reaching brim. The fuel gauge shows it is barely more than 2/3rds of a tank too. And then it seems to plunge down to its last quarter quickly, before then slowing down to near empty. Odd, but I am getting used to it.

Talking of petrol, my heart goes out to all those caught by the Tesco contamination. I guess the benefit of running a classic is that it just runs through the engine and gets burnt off, without any oxygen sensors or EMSs to knacker along the way!

It seems to have rained constantly since I picked the car up, so not much opportunity to give it a full shampoo and wax, but I did climb inside today and go over the front seats with Gliptone leather cleaner and then conditioner (£13.35 for the two delivered from Gliptone UK). Thus far I can't say I have noticed any visual change, but the leather does feel softer. It hasn't yet, as it claims, returned the smell of new leather to the car, although I smell different! I'll leave it a few days and report further.

Also, puchased some top up oil for until I get round to a full fluids change. Halfords do a 20w/50 for classic cars at £17 (also bought some Castrol Dexron III automatic transmission fluid top up) which I'll keep to hand in case the dipstick shows some usage, but I see that SC Parts do 5 litre cans of Castrol XL 20/50 which would be better to refill the sump, so I plan to order some of that soon.

I remain a bit confused about what oil filter I should be using though. It currently has a Purolator L-30001 on it (as recommended for a Jensen Interceptor MkII of 1971 with the Mopar 383cid engine), but this not seems to cross-reference to the FRAM part numbers recommended by the BOC (PH2857A/PH2821A/PH2825A), nor with what FRAM suggests for the same Jensen model. Anyone with any ideas?

1 comment:

The Happy Bristoleer said...

Hi Ian, glad you're getting on OK with the 4100. Re the fuel filling: my 410 also cuts out with modern pumps - the only solution is to fill it more slowly. This is both awkward and time consuming, as it is harder work to hold the pump half-on than it is to simply squeeze it all the way, but it is the only way I can get petrol into the car. Petrol pumps are clearly much faster today than when the cars were built. Also, the fuel guage definitely goes down faster in the second half! I usually go about 225-250 miles between fill-ups, though have got over 320 on rare occasions. HTH, Sam.