Tuesday 27 February 2007

Discovering more of my car's history

Rejoined the Bristol Owners Club after letting my membership lapse last year while distracted by other things... Anyway, found the old girl listed by the BOC and to my delight the online database of cars (accessible only by members) shows two old photos along with the entry:

My car pictured on 19 April 2004 at British Car Auctions, Bridgwater, presumably when Glenn Wilson bought the car. UPDATE: I have found from the BCA website that this was Lot 45 and the hammer came down at £7,597 (with VAT added £8,926). I have receipts from Glenn's tenure for a further £8,600 of work before he sold the car in 2006.


Apparently also a photo of my car, although with a different registration number to current (the BOC has identified it by chassis number). This picture was taken on 1 September 1977, the car five years old, just after being announced the first winner of the Dudley Rylett Memorial Trophy for top scoring 411 at the BOC Concours of that year. The gentleman with the car is Mr E D Birch, custodian of the car at the time. UPDATE: This car also won the Elite Trophy at the 1978 BOC Concours (for highest scoring former class-winning Bristols), again with Mr Birch, but I can find no record of the car between 1978 and 1988. Can anyone help?

I know that a William Pickering was guardian of the car between Mr Birch and Glenn Wilson, but the 10 total recorded keepers suggests there may have been others between them - do you know of any? If so, let me know - my e-mail address is at the bottom of the page.

No comments: