Thursday 22 February 2007

The history of the car

The car was registered in November 1972 and has had 10 guardians prior to me. The car came with receipts and invoices from 1988 and show the owner then was a William Pickering, who bought it that year with 62,000 miles showing. Mr. Pickering kept the car for eight years, during which he did 20,000 miles.

The car then passed to Glenn Wilson in 2004 and under his stewardship the car had a comprehensive engine re-build including unleaded valve seats, a transmission service and a brake overhaul with new discs. I first viewed the car when Glenn had it, although business commitments stopped me buying the car at the time. Instead, it went to Theo Visser in April 2006 with 88,000 miles under its tyres.

Theo completed a further 3,000 miles in the car in his 10 months as guardian. The collection of MoT certificates show the mileage of 91,000 to be authentic. The car has "historic vehicle" classification with DVLA and as such is zero rated for Vehicle Excise Duty ("road fund licence"). For the same reason it is also cheap to insure at some £200 per year unlimited mileage for a 38 year old male with a rather grubby licence!

Before purchase I had the car inspected by Spencer Lane-Jones and his team, who have made me aware of all work that is likely to need doing over the next two years. I hope to start on these items soon and will detail them as I get to clearing them from the list.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratualtions on your purchase Ian.

Are you going to share your "to do" list ?

Author said...

Thank you Kevin. I was planning to reveal the To Do list as I worked through it, but I may offer it up in advance so you can see how little progress I am making! Regs, IH.